I'm giving a test in Social this week. This is the first test I'm giving to my e. students so, I've been really careful to give them ample warning, a detailed study guide (also emailed to their parents) and an interactive Jeopardy Review.
I really don't like tests. Don't get me wrong, they're not hard for me. I can easily prep a test and easily mark a test. I'm just not sure if a test is an accurate snapshot of the learning going on in my classroom.
For instance, we did a series of interactive activities that taught us about how culture has influenced us as individuals. We also did an in-depth simulation where we played a trading game. In both those lessons, I feel as though students were thinking critically and creatively. They were also memorable learning moments.
A test is simply a regurgitation of information. I have a really good memory so I'm good at tests. Not all kids are. Is this regurgitation of information a skill that is necessary in a world where information is just a google search away? What if our Canadian schools went to an American model where some states attach funding to test scores? Where would my time for meaningful, memorable learning activities go?
I love projects where kids really have dig into the material, process it and make it their own. I love building concepts from definitions to creative application. I think this is where the meat and potatoes of education is.
Should I stop giving tests altogether? Then, what happens to my minions when they meet up with a teacher who believes rote learning and test-writing is the be-all and end-all to education?
What happens if we slowly slide to the American model and I have to start teaching to a test so that the government has results to validate spending?
You've probably had at least a little education; what do you think?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
why can't you be my kids' teacher?! :) seriously. i get so much more out of classes when there has been some practical life application and or "interactive games" to learn and help remember. i did just ok on tests. i think it is still good to have tests, but isn't there such a thing as an equilibrium? a balance b/w the two? thank you on behalf of your students' parents. thank you for helping those kids learn how to think creatively and to critically think. we SERIOUSLY need more teachers like you! *hugs* :)
marla
I think tests can be written in such a way that they test more than rote memorization (although there is some value in that as well). Questions can be asked that require students to apply the knowledge rather than just regurgitate it. However, those kinds of questions require more effort to mark :) Good luck.
Post a Comment