Voting

Friday, September 30, 2011

Quiet Time Trouble

Simon stopped daily naps when Claire was born. Slowly, he's weaned his naps down to 1-2 times a week. This week, he hasn't napped at all. That hasn't stopped us from giving him Quiet Time. Usually, he sings, reads his books, plays with his animals and does weird 2-year-old things.
Yesterday, he ripped 2 library books to shreds. Eeeek! Major Momma disappointment!
"Simon ripping books, Momma!" was how he gleefully explained it when I entered his room.

After a chat about how that was bad and my removal of all his paper books from his room and a talk about how I had to pay for those books, I had a sorrowful Simon.
Today, I gave him a sticker activity book and a MagnaDoodle to keep him entertained. I'm about to walk into his room to see how that went over. I heard lots of chattering and singing so - I'm hoping for the best.

What do/did your 2-year olds do during their Quiet Times? I'm looking for some ideas to help keep the destruction at bay.

3 comments:

Jen said...

I'm a quiet time stickler since my girls stopped napping at one as well!

Sewing cards, dolls, puzzles, the Melissa & Doug Memory game, singing and dancing is usually what happened at age 2. Now there's the intro of the Leapster for Josie and Abby just reads, reads, reads and sings into a hairbrush in the mirror.

Anonymous said...

i second what jen says :) and was also thinking...what about mega blocks? i guess they could be a little loud, but at least he has to focus and be a little creative??! anyhow, good luck!
Marla

Amy L said...

The Bruin foam building blocks are great! Quiet and they can stack and knock them down over and over again. Stacking cups and linking rings are also good.