I've always been a faithful Sunday church goer. Part of it is that church is a good way to re-connect to Christ weekly and in a communal way. Part of it is social. Either which way, I love going. I love my church and the people there.
However, this is the 3rd week in a row that I have "skipped" church. Today, I miss it.
Claire naps at 10 am. I like her happy and not cranky so, I like to ensure good naps for her. Church is on summer hours until next week and it starts at 10 am. That means, I have to choose between church and a nap. Normally, this would just mean choosing a cranky baby, sticking her in the nursery where she's happily distracted and letting her pass out in the car on the way home. Except, because it's summer, there are no nursery workers. That means that if I go to church, basically, I am going to the nursery to play with my cranky baby.
What's the point?
I did it for a few Sundays and I was just frustrated. All I was doing was hanging out in the nursery (usually looking after a few other people's kids as well as mine) and the price: a very cranky baby and then, a very cranky Momma. There was not the benefit of enjoying church to counter-balance.
I'm a little peeved that only 4 couples signed up for nursery duty from mid-June until mid-September. Sure, it's one thing if they're not around however, if their bringing their kids to the nursery week after week, why didn't they sign up and share the load a little?
So, today, I'm sitting at home with my napping baby. I did laundry. I cleaned up morning dishes. I did a little landscaping. I'm feeling a little heretical but, this too will pass.

1 comment:
Oh Jill, we have the same problem! Well, when we have not been out of town that is. That and the heat; the boys do not tolerate heat well at all. We even had to leave early a couple of times because they would both just melt down completely from being overheated. It is such an awkward time for us too! Two cranky boys for the whole rest of the day just wears me right out. It makes me sad though because the church is so nice and the people so welcoming. We would love to sign up for nursery duty, we just did not know how people would feel seeing as we are quite new and they do not really know us well. In any case, we definitely WANT to be there... I hope people understand that.
Post a Comment