
Today, I took the kids to Rideau Hall (Governor General's Residence). I was really excited about going because, I used to be a tour guide at the SK Gov't House and we refer to Rideau Hall a lot. Also, I am a bit of a history geek so, I couldn't not come to Ottawa and visit Rideau Hall.
I should've known that we were off to a bad start when Simon started screaming "Simon hotel" over and over and over again as we left. It was a 40 minute walk and I think he screamed for about 30 minutes of it. We got to the area where Google maps said Rideau Hall was but, I couldn't find it. I kept wandering around this gorgeous house that was well fenced had security. Finally, I talked to a security guard and she informed me that I'd be trying to find my way into 24 Sussex Drive (the Prime Minister's home). Ooops! That made us just on time for our tour.
The rest of our tour group were a bunch of seniors. Simon was excited to see all the "grandmas and grandpas". They oooohed and ahhhhed over my little brood and off we went. The kids did well in the first 3 rooms and then Claire started to cry and Simon started to yell "flag" over and over and over again. One of the guides let us go into the ballroom (that was being prepped for an Order of Canada ceremony) so I could nurse Claire (good thing she's efficient). I let Simon out of the Bob so he could touch the flags and he had an absolute meltdown... head rearing, arms flailing, ear-splitting screaming - the whole works. Fun times. (Every time I see that ball room on the news, I know that I'll probably laugh and tell the kids about how they embarrassed me there).
Fortunately, we were done the tour so, I took my two screaming babies out of the residence and down the beautiful, tree-lined path and back to the hotel.
Part of me wished that I could have been anywhere but in that position. I was "that" Mom with "those" kids. Sigh... They're both little and all they were doing was acting their age.
They're both down for naps and I'm hoping for a better tomorrow. I have quieter day planned.

2 comments:
That's how it goes, Jill...you get the bad with the good. It all mixes together and makes for wonderful memories!!!
oh jill, that sounds rough. hopefully eventually you will be able to read this entry again and laugh...
Post a Comment