In the past 2 days, I have run into 3 former students. Each time, I was very tempted to ask a million questions and give them each a bear hug. It's strange that I feel this way but, after teaching for 8 years, there are so many students that I have absolutely adored and miss having in my life.
I think that's what I love most about my job. It sure isn't the mountains of marking or the insane amount of prep (although, that does allow me to be quite creative). It isn't the staff (not that I don't love them too) or the professional committees I belong to. It isn't even the passing on of information. It's really all about the kids and the relationships that I'm able to form.
Now, when I see FB updates or run into one of my favorites (of which there are many, many, many), it's interesting to see the changes that have occurred. Shy, meek kids have blossomed into moms and dads and have careers of all types. Wild and raucous kids have mellowed and matured but still carry that spark of rebellion with them.
I'm so proud of how so many of them have turned out. I'm so proud that I was able to spend a little bit of time with them during such a critical part of their development.
It must be summer holidays. Only then do I miss teenagers. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment