
I'm reading Gretchen Rubin's book called The Happiness Project. I read a lot of random things and this had a very favorable review in Maclean's (which I read religiously) so I thought I'd check it out of the library.
I'm pretty impressed with it.
First, she started her project, basically how to make her life more happy, not because she was unhappy but rather because she just wanted to milk as much happiness from life as possible. I really like this idea. I'm a pretty happy person but, it's good to think of ways to be happier rather then just to coast through life.
She chose a different part of her life to focus on every month for a year. My favorite chapters so far have been about her marriage and about being a Mom. Currently, I'm reading her chapter on leisure. It's about how we "play". One of the things Gretchen had to realize about herself is that things that may give other people pleasure don't always work for her. One of her golden rules is to always stay true to
"being Gretchen". This is a good realization for me.
I'm coming to accept that I'm a little quirky and what works for some, doesn't work for me. For instance, group sports tend to cause me performance anxiety. I'd much rather walk the park with Trevor and Simon. I HATE going out with groups. There's too much conversation and I never know where to focus my attention. I much prefer quieter outings with one or two friends. I love creating things, making the mundane into an adventure, being silly, baking and ice cream. I LOVE stories... a good book, a good TV show, a good movie, a sermon with a story to illustrate a point, a good radio broadcast, a good... well, you get the point.
So why, except when absolutely obligated, do I put myself in situations I don't enjoy? I guess I do it because these situations are supposed to be "fun". I think that this book has been a good reminder for me to just be me.
Anyways, if you're in the mood for a really good read that will make you contemplate life a little, check out Gretchen Rubin's The Happiness Project. The library has a few copies kickin' around. I think you'll be glad you did. :)

2 comments:
Have you read "The Last Lecture"? That is another good book. For some reason this book you are describing reminded me of that book. I really enjoyed it - I will have to check this one out!
sounds like a great book - i will check it out!
Post a Comment