In my 4 1/2 year career as a teacher, my worst teaching day had been finding some of my Lanigan lovelies drinking in Greece. That really was awful!
Yesterday topped that sinking sensation. My lovely colleague J.D. and I were brave and decided to take our little grade 9s to a play at Sheldon. The kids were awful. They defaced the chairs they sat on, they threw pennies and dimes into the crowd (some poor elementary kids were pegged). They swore and cursed and talked loudly and were disobedient. They kept flicking their lighters and trying to start things on fire. They lit cigarette papers and tried smoking them. I spent 2 hours in torment. J.D., the wise lady that she is, went to the Sheldon office and called the bus back early.
We bought the kids pizza and took them out of classes. The school paid their admission into the play and paid for the bus.
In the end, the kids called J.D. a racist and I'm sure we heard the b-word again.
I'm tired of this.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Wow, Jill! That sounds like a really rough day teaching! I am currently finishing my practicum to become a primary teacher, and I have had a few days that have really stretched my ability to remain a calm and collected teacher! I love your teaching stories! This profession can be a real hoot!
Post a Comment