Voting

Monday, February 28, 2011

The Discipline Diva


The day started with the rousing chorus of "Up, Up... Simon.... Ballloooon" coming from the room next door. After a major meltdown over cereal (drat... we ate all the bread already?) and a time out (poor Claire is always "left out", our day proceeded with a series of scream fests and meltdowns.
After lunch, I decided I needed to leave these four walls and see the sunshine. I piled the kids into my buddy Bob and headed out of the garage to the wail of a baby and toddler. Once we got going, they settled down. The only problem was that Simon was obsessed with his "little snowball" (which is very hard to hold onto wearing mitts) and he kept dropping it and screaming. He also kept screaming "flag! flag!" (our destination had flags). After we reached our destination with flags, he started to scream and sob "up", "all done", "Simon's house" and flailing in the stroller. I was that Mom with that kid. Fortunately, it's winter and there aren't too many other walkers out and about.
When we got home, I plunked him in his crib after stories, snuggles and prayer and didn't hear a peep for 2 hours.
Unfortunately, the good mood he woke up in didn't last too long.
Good thing Claire's such a chipper little thing.

Our time outs are evolving from some time in Mommy and Daddy's room alone with Mommy (or Daddy) into Simon alone in Simon's crib sans stuffies. Soon we'll have a timer and a naughty mat. Sigh...
Any discipline tips?

Maybe it's an ear infection. The earliest appt with our Dr. will be on Wednesday.
Maybe it's teething.
Maybe it's that he's almost 2.
Maybe I've got to step it up as the boss of the house and show my little dictator that I mean business. After all, this why I get paid the big bucks, right?

2 comments:

Del said...

Welcome to two! It was about a year ago that we started the time out mat (the mat at the front door...he could then still see us). Now it is that mat and I've started to set the timer (3 minutes because he's 3).
Hopefully it's not an ear infection...but you have to wonder with him being so foul.
Good luck!

Jen said...

I like time outs, not necessarily as a big punishment, but just as a way to step away from the situation, calm down, spend a few minutes alone. I'm against having time outs in bedrooms, especially beds so I like the time out mat or corner or whatever. Just helps not have a negative association with a space that is supposed to be comfortable, relaxing and sleep inducing.

Age 2 is definitely an age of pushing boundaries and trying to determine who is boss!