Voting

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

A Slippery Slope


It's become apparent to me over the past few months how easy the decline of mental health can become. I'm a very positive person. However, with the cold of winter keeping us inside these four walls day in and day out, I can see how easy falling into depression can be. I have two very needy little people clinging to me, fighting sleep and wanting my attention (at all hours). I'm getting less sleep then I'd like and both kids don't seem to want to nap. (Claire can't beat her 45 minute sleep cycle sans help and Simon plays in his crib all nap time.)
In order to stay positive, I have forced myself to not wallow. I get up and I put on make-up before the kids. I plan (and over plan) play dates and activities to keep us busy. I embrace nap time and try to do something for myself every day. I pray with my kids and for my kids. I bake, I online shop and I sniff sunscreen. :)
I'm fine. Please don't worry about me because I have not slipped off the slope of sanity. However, this winter, I have become very empathetic to those who do. If we choose to have an Ender (third), I hope I can time it so that he or she is born in early spring so I can get my Vitamin D fix!

The above pic is of my little graduates. Simon is now is his booster seat (with his precious dinosaurs place mat) and Claire is now being social in her highchair. I thought Simon would be sad to leave his high chair but, he's excited to eat with his dinosaurs every day.

1 comment:

Janelle said...

Good for you, staying positive, Jill. I totally agree with everything you said - it is hard being cooped up with demanding little people, especially when you're not sleeping.

My friend had a baby at the start of March and she said it was perfect - by the time the baby was ready to go on outings it was starting to get nicer out.

Hoping that your winter and ours starts to ease up soon!