Voting

Monday, December 06, 2010

Learning curve


It's becoming more and more obvious to me that becoming an mother is a process. I learn so much from my kiddos.
Claire will be 3 weeks old tomorrow. It seems like a lifetime ago that I took a walk down our dark and icy street hoping to induce labour. Since then, I've had a steep learning curve but, it's also been good.
Things I've learned to do:
-get ready in just 10 minutes before the kids wake up in the morning
-nurse Claire and feed Simon Nutella and raisin toast (and check FB) at the SAME time
-get a newborn and a toddler out the door, by myself, and be EARLY for church
-carry Simon and Claire (in her carseat) and the diaper bag to and from the car
-nap most afternoons :)
-focus on just one household task a day instead of trying to do it all at once and burning out
-delegate baby-bathing to my wonderful (and brave husband) - I've always been a baby bath wimp
-read stories up-side-down to my toddler while nursing

I've also benefited from some amazing friends and family who have brought me some spectacular meals. Trevor and I have been dining well since Claire arrived and we've been oh-so-thankful. It's nice to not worry about supper and just nurse or play instead of fixing food.

(Family photo by my lovely sister-in-law, Andrea)

4 comments:

Jen said...

I think the brought-to-the-door meals are one of my favorite things about having a newborn. Hope the adjusting continues to go well!!

Amanda Franks said...

Love, love, love the family picture! You guys are totally adorable.

Andrea said...

I'm impressed when I get MYSELF out the door in time in the morning. You are my hero.

Anonymous said...

i just wanna say that i LOVE your family photo. nice work andrea!! and jill, you are still my hero :)

marla