
I confess, I would be quite content letting music play softly on the radio in the background and it is not my normal to pay attention to what exactly is playing. I never had one style, one band or one singer that was iconic to my childhood. In my teens, I flip flopped between the alternative/grunge scene, jazz and country. Then, I married my musically astute husband and since then, a world of musical wonder has opened up to me.
Trevor's not a musical snob but, he is good at finding the up and coming independent artists before they make it big. He's good at knowing what is current and what is good. Of course we do vary in style - I like it a little more mellow and he's attracted to things a little more techno but, overall, I like it when he introduces me to new music.
This weekend, we drove to a city a few hours north and went to an Arcade Fire concert. I listen to Arcade Fire... on Trevor's Ipod. They're pretty intense. They were even more intense in concert. During some of the songs, they rocked it so hard that I had to sit down because either our baby was freaking out or he/she has got some intense, in utero dance moves.
The only concert I had been too (besides Raffi and other good kids' stuff) before dating Trevor was Vince Gill and Brian White. I guess all the youth events to Christian concerts count too except, I was mostly there to check out boys. (As an aside - I actually remember talking with Trevor at a Hokus Pick concert when I was 13 or 14. I was head banging in my hyper-colour shirt and I'm sure he was rockin' it in an extra-large T-shirt. It's funny that we knew each other then...).
Since dating Trevor, I've been to a lot more concerts. I like going. Even if I don't know the band or the singer all that well, I love being in such a happy, positive crowd. I love the shared joy and enthusiasm that overtakes people at concerts.
I like that Trevor's always finding us something new to listen to. It's better then having some radio disc jockey decide what's cool enough for me. I hope Simon appreciates that we dance to some pretty great tunes every evening after supper.

1 comment:
I hope Del doesn't read this! He'll be jealous of Trevor and the great concert going wife you are.
I, however, HATE going to concerts. I find them too loud, too short (or sometimes too long) and mostly too overpriced. Even with people/bands I love. I just wish they would come and play in my backyard instead of some echo filled, stinky venue.
Poor Del, he's pretty much on his own when it comes to concert going. Maybe I'm just too old ;)
Post a Comment