We just got back from lunch with some friends. We all took our little boys to DQ. It dawned on me just how many baby boys around Simon's age that we know. It's like 2009 was the year of the boy. I think our 2-3 year old Sunday School teacher may retire when she sees the crew she has coming in the next year and a bit. Yikes! I wouldn't blame her one bit! It's a good thing that Simon will have a pile of little guy friends. I pity this group in Jr. High when there are maybe one or two girls to flirt with between the lot of them.
On the same subject but, a completely different note, I just finished reading A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier by Ishmael Beah. It took me over a week to read because it was such a hard story. I'm still upset when I think of these lonesome little orphan boys who wound up fighting in the "army" in Sierra Leone. They were pumped with drugs, given guns and forced to go and shoot the enemy. The brainwashing and abuse the author went through was atrocious. As a Mommy, I held my little son a lot closer this week and continued to thank God that we live in such a safe place. Unfortunately, Ismael was one of many, many children to whom war and atrocities happen to. I don't know what I can do to help other then to hear their stories and to pass them on.

No comments:
Post a Comment