
I could spend a lot of time criticizing the Olympics. There are a lot of negatives to point out such as:
-Vancouver's Tent City and the homeless
-all that money going to sports that could be better used for Health Care or Education
-politicizing sport
-Own the Podium
-etc. etc. etc.
However, I can't help but be caught up in the excitement of it all. Trevor, Simon and I danced with glee as snowboard Maelle Ricker raced to gold. We've continued to do many happy dances as athletes from all venues met with success and won medals. Our hearts broke a little for those who didn't meet their goals. I still hurt for Patrick Chan and the enormous pressure he felt.
I can't help it. I'm Canadian. My patriotism surpasses my cynicism. I want to embrace the positive energy of the Games. I guess I've bought into the Tim Horton's/Canadian Tire propaganda. I confess, I tear up every time I see the commercial about the little boy and his Dad's first skate. I also get choked when the commercial about the immigrant man meeting is his family with parkas and Tim Horton's coffee comes on. I love where I'm from.
What does this sports related patriotism say about me? I never, ever, follow sports like bobsledding or alpine skiing at any other time. Yet, when those athletes wear that maple leaf to compete in the Olympics, I'm riveted. Yes, I watch curling and hockey outside of the Olympics but, it doesn't mean more to me then it does this week. As I type, I have the Men's Canada vs. USA gold medal game playing on the TV and TREVOR'S NOT EVEN HOME! That means I turned it on and am watching it by my own volition. When else, other then the Olympics, does this occur?
I am Canadian (and a bandwagon jumper) and when those men win our 14th gold medal (and break the record), I will do another little happy dance.
Go Canada Go!

1 comment:
Your post made me smile...mainly because I echo all of your thoughts :) I also think that knowing I will be leaving this wonderful country in one short month makes everything even more meaningful... I am sad that our paths didn't cross in church today, but so looking forward to seeing you tomorrow!!
Post a Comment