Simon's not talking yet but, when I approach his little mouth with a spoon and his food, he gives me a look that says "I do it myself" and then, he takes a swipe at the spoon with both his hands. I've give up. I usually get a few spoonfuls of whatever we're eating mushed up into his mouth and then, we're done. He's moved on to finger foods. This poses some challenge as he has no teeth. He also likes to rip apart food and mush it up in his hands. I'd say 3/4 of it ends up in his mouth and the other 1/4 decorates his high chair, his bib, his face and the floor. This morning, I found toast in his hair.
It's a stage... I know but, IT'S SOOOOO GROSS!!!!! He loves oranges and banana. Orange pulp and mushed banana mixed with toast and baby cookie is YUCKY! In the long run, feeding himself is a great thing. However, I need to invest in an automatic baby/highchair cleaner!

5 comments:
Both our girls were the same way: they wanted finger foods really early. We did lots of cheese, cubed fruit, puffs, and, well, that was it for a while. It is SO messy, though! Karenna is a major food-thrower, too. As soon as she's done, the leftovers hit the floor. Thank goodness we have a dog!
Matthew was (and is) the same way. I love how everyone said it would be freeing when they feed themselves. It takes a bit to reach that stage, where it is freeing only because there is no mess to clean up after them. Clorox wipes and Wet Ones are your friend!
From what other people say, I guess you either need a dog, or Fergus needs to step it up an notch!
Simon LOOKS like a toddler in that picture! WOW!
I have to say that 3/4 to 1/4 is a really great ratio :) I am sure with Caleb it was more 1/2 and 1/2... maybe NOW it is 3/4 to 1/4! So there you go, by the time Simon is Caleb's age, no mess at all!!
I used to use a food chopper to chop food into fine pieces for my little ones. They loved it because they could feed themselves. I also went to a kitchen store and bought a food scraper to pick up the left-overs easier.
Enjoy watching Simon's independence blossom.
Post a Comment