Voting

Tuesday, March 02, 2010

That Magic Spark

Last night, I watched the Finale of the Bachelor (my guilty pleasure). I watched with some very sweet ladies and enjoyed way too much food (another guilty pleasure). Of course, the girl I didn't want to win, did. I felt the way I imagine I would have if Canada had lost to the US in hockey and only came home with the silver. In the end, I was left pondering relationships, marriage and the world's view of love.

On the Bachelor, Jake and Vienna kept talking about a "magic spark", "butterflies" and "fairytale". At first, I wondered about whether Trevor and I still had that "magic spark" because my stomach does not do somersaults every time he walks in a room. Then, I wondered about our tiny little bungalow, baby, mortgage and crazy cat and I'm not sure it qualifies as a fairytale as discussed by the Bachelor couple.

After much more thought (I had a severe bout of insomnia last night - that's one of the after affect of 10 months of sleep deprivation), I marveled about how deep my love for my man is. It goes beyond fairy tales and butterflies. I'm glad that I'm married to my best friend. I couldn't imagine the past 10 months of sleeplessness with anyone else. He's my partner. He's the guy who cheers me up when I'm rocking back and forth and crying convulsively because Simon is screaming at me for the 2nd hour straight (this was much of August and September - Simon does not do this anymore). Trevor's been my rock and defender when I've put my foot in mouth and embarrassed myself for the umpteenth time. Trevor's the guy that I put on eyeliner for once a month so that I feel attractive again. He's also the guy that hugs and kisses me despite the huge bags under my eyes and Hitler-like cold sore under my nose.

So, congrats Jake and Vienna. I hope you enjoy your butterflies and fairy tale ending. However, if you want your relationship to work out, I hope you two can encounter reality with grace and positivity.
I'm so thankful for Trevor. It's funny how a cheesy reality show can remind me about how much I love my man and how wonderful he is.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awww Jill this made me tear up, in a good way. :) I watched the show last night too and had many of the same thoughts. Thanks for sharing.

matt&ruth said...

So true... life lessons from the Bachelor :) I so enjoyed cheering for Tenley last night with you guys - and it was such a nice surprise to see you this morning as well!