Voting

Thursday, October 01, 2009

Advice Needed - Please Comment

Well, Trevor has another business trip at the end of October. Simon and I can go with him if we want to. I really want to and yet, I am afraid.
Will this wreck the sort of okay sleep schedule we've got Simon on?
What will we do with him and his 6:30 bedtimes in the hotel (7:30 SK time but, 6:30 BC time)? Will I be trapped in the hotel because I'm tied to his crazy 4-5 45 minute naps a day?
Can I still start solids before we go and how will I manage them there?
Will he do okay in a hotel crib?
How will he do on the plane?
How the heck will we manage to haul all his junk there?
Will I still be able to do cool things like Stanley Park and the Aquarium?
Will I be able to get a good Shiya visit in?
Will we wreck Trevor's sleep so that he falls asleep during his course?

Yeesh! Readers, I need your advice. What would you do if you had a (turning) 6 month old? Would you take him to Vancouver?

(Colleen - if you're reading - I can't believe you took Elisa all the way to my farm when she was so little. You were so brave! I had NO idea the tremendous amount of work it must have been for you to travel to be in my wedding. You are AMAZING!)

9 comments:

Jen said...

DO IT! You'll never know how all those things will go until you get there. Babies that age are generally still portable and adaptable. I wouldn't miss an opportunity to go on a trip because of a whole bunch of "maybes".

Michelle said...

This generation of mothers worries far too much. Far too much. If you are calm and relaxed, my bet is he will be too. Jen is right. Do it.

Janelle said...

I think you should go too! I have a friend who is taking her 6-month old to Japan - eek! I have confidence that you and Simon will do just fine :)

Tanya said...

I think you should go. We took Chloe home for a week for my sisters wedding when she was about the same age as Simon will be. It went really well. If possible try an bring familiar sheets or a familiar playpen for him to sleep in.
As for the plane, I've heard nurse, give them a soother, bottle, or thumb, etc. when the plane takes off/lands (although having never flown, I wouldn't know for sure).
Good luck! I'm sure it will go fine!

Del said...

GO, GO, GO!!!

We've taken two big trips with Reid. Arizona when he was 10 months and the East Coast tour at 16 months. The first night somewhere has always been a little rough but the business of the touring during the day tuckers them out.

Also, do you want Simon to be adaptable and flexible? Unfortunately the only way to foster that is to actually put yourself in that situation.

And they have DVD players on airplanes. Just sayin'

Now start packing (and packing, and packing, and packing...)

Tiffany said...

I think you should go Jill. You have been looking forward to this and you deserve it. Baby this age are very adaptable. The first day may be hard but I think Simon will adapt. So go and have fun.

Marla said...

i also say go-go-go!!!! i took aria, all by myself to visit nana and papa (my parents) in yellowknife...in november. she did fairly well, no actually really well, (other than the poop blowout as we took off)flying. (note: air canada doesn't always have change tables in their planes....but the stewardess' are very adaptable. i ended up changing aria on the gally floor. she didn't like that very much ;) ) she was 4 months of age. yes, it was a bit more work, not gonna lie, but worth it. do bring familiar blankies/toys with you. i'm sure the hotel cribs will be fine. and do go and explore with simon. both he and you will benefit from being outside stimilated by everything at the aquarium, etc. and to this day, it always lulls aria a little to be in her stroller. maybe simon can nap in there when you are out and about :) bring a soother/bottle or breastfeed during takeoff/landing, it probably will help. and if all else fails...the plane ride can't be more than 2 hours eh?? ;) now go start PACKING!!! feel free to call or email if you have any questions regarding flying or whatever with a little one. you can do it!

Anonymous said...

Sorry, but I disagree. Travelling with a baby is SO not worth the hassle! Personally, I'd wait until he's a little older. Just my opinion, but it also depends on your baby's personality as well as your own.

Amy L said...

I think you guys would probably do just fine. Yes, there would be some adjustments and maybe a little lost sleep but kids do tend to take things better than we expect a lot of the time. I do understand your nervousness though and honestly if you are not entirely sure that you can feel emotionally ok with whatever the little guy might throw at you... maybe this is not the right time for such a venture. I have total faith you can do it, but I have delayed a few experiences with Chase just because I knew that in the off chance he melted down, I might have as well and that might have snowballed and changed the whole atmosphere of things for other people as well... if that makes any sense! If you do go, just be prepared to take things one day at a time, be flexible, and not too plan too much in one day. Kids are wonderful at adapting but too much in a short amount of time can throw anyone a little off their feed so to speak. Just some thoughts!