Voting

Monday, June 29, 2009

a culmination and a beginning


One of my favorite things about teaching high school is grad. There's the excitement of the day, the beautiful gowns, the handsome tuxes and the drama of who's going with who and how you're getting there. That's a lot of fun and I've always enjoyed the build up with grade 12s during the second semester.

More importantly is what grad symbolizes. Grad is the culmination of 13 years of public education. For 13 years, these students have followed (for the most part) a very predictable, daily routine. For 13 years, these students have been equipped with as much knowledge we, as teachers, can give them. For 13 years, these students have been preparing for their future, this is a very ambiguous and abstract concept for most of them. Grad is a culmination of these 13 years.

Grad is also a starting point. Now, that ambiguous, abstract future is upon them. No longer can they procrastinate growing up... it has to happen. It's a scary and exciting time for them.

As a teacher, I always feel like a momma bird shooing her young out of a nest. I trust that they've been well taught and I'm anxious to see them fly.

Congratulations grads of 2009!

No comments: