Voting

Monday, May 25, 2009

Cat on a Hot Tin Roof

Yesterday, Trevor did sound for church. That meant I was on my own to get myself and Simon ready. We had 2 hours. I was feeling pretty confident... then I let my cat out.

Fergus loves his outside time. I hate denying it from him. Yesterday, he climbed our big maple and jumped onto the roof of our house. He's never done that before. It's a pretty big leap for him.

When I went outside to call him in, he was nowhere to be found. I could hear his plaintive mewling from my roof. When I looked up, I could see my panicked cat panting on my roof.

What the heck could I do to get him down? I had Simon in my arms and curlers in my hair. Fortunately, I had managed to get my cute little spring skirt on. Unfortunately, climbing onto my roof on a windy spring day in a skirt is not practical.

I put Simon in his swing. I got a chair from the kitchen table to stand on while on our front steps. Nothing. Fergus would come and then panic and run to the other side of the house. Simon started to wail.

There I was, on my front steps, in a spring skirt, babe in arms. I was a cartoon character waiting for a firetruck to show up. A nice family stopped and tried to help. Fergus was afraid of the husband and wouldn't come to him. The wife held Simon while I tried again to no avail.

Finally, I called to let Trevor know I'd be late. I put Simon down again and tried one last time.
Fergus had given up. He came to me and stepped down into my arms.

Now, he wonders why I don't really want to let him outside.

(I made it on time to church... laughing all the way).

1 comment:

Andrea said...

We just started letting Pippin out without a leash now that the fence is built. She's only made it halfway up the tree once or twice. I'm hoping she never gets as adventurous as Fergus!