Simon has casts to correct his club feet. We're not sure how long he'll have them. It all depends on how his feet take to them. Every Monday night, Trevor and I take off Simon's casts. I nurse Simon and hold him tight while Trevor takes tin snips and nursing scissors to his casts. The above photo shows the nice equipment he gets to use. The first time we took them off, it was really stressful. Now, we've got the process figured out, we're much better at it... and faster.
Every Tuesday, I get to go to the hospital where a doctor manipulates Simon's feet and casts them for the week. We enter the waiting room and everyone "ooohs and aaaahhs" about my cute little baby. Then, we go into the casting room. Simon screams bloody murder through most of the procedure making me look like a mean mommy to most of the waiting room (they avert their eyes when I go back out).
Did you know that, in the U.K., doctors are trying to make it illegal for parents to abort babies who have clubfeet? There's been an increase in abortions for babies with this very correctable defect there? It seems these parents don't want the "inconvinience" and would rather try again for "perfection". This makes me pretty angry and then, very sad. Even though the whole casting process is a pain... it is a solution. My sweet Simon will walk and run with the best of them. For this, I would do anything!

3 comments:
I'll say it again:
I don't think Simon could have asked for better parents that you two. I admire your attitude about all of this!
look at those teeny tiny little casts!!! oh my goodness are they cute! i hope you save a few of them. and i agree with jen, you guys are the best parents :) i can't wait to meet little simon!
Look how cute he looks in clothes! What a cute little outfit! Many exclamation marks!!!
I'm sending you many wishes to have a good "cast" night.
Post a Comment