Voting

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

P.R.O.M. Queen

P.R.O.M., in medical terms, stands for the Premature Rupturing Of Membranes. Basically, this means that the water breaks without contractions and slowly leaks out of the mother until the baby decides to come.
Hmmm... didn't know I would learn about this on my way to motherhood.
I woke up rather soggy yesterday. I didn't know what to do because I didn't feel anything. I eventually called the Health Line and was told to go immediately to the hospital - Labour and Delivery. I quickly packed my bag, called my husband who rushed home to get me. We hurried over to the hospital to wait, and wait and wait. We were given our little lesson on P.R.O.M. and were allowed to choose to wait for spontaneous labour or be induced. We thought we'd let Baby do things when it wanted and now... we're waiting... and waiting!
I get to do fun things like go for ultrasounds at the hospital to monitor fluids (Baby still has a healthy little swimming pool to play in), take my temperature (I'm now at risk for infection) and do a fetal kick count twice a day.
Trevor's decided to soldier on at work. Fergus is looking after me well enough at home. Baby's still dancing up a storm.
We have friends and relatives all keyed up and nada from Baby. The status of my pain (or lack thereof) has never been more interesting to other people. I have to break the news to many sweet people that no, I am not in any pain. Then, I audibly hear them sigh in disappointment.
Well, maybe I'll go eat some spicy food while doing lunges up and down my stairs after my long, long walk. We'll see if that kickstarts anything (at least I'll tucker myself out for a good night's sleep).

3 comments:

Jen said...

I bet you go into labor tonight! can't wait Jill. :)

Andrea said...

i'm sorry that i'm sorry that you're not in any pain! c'mon baby Wiens....

Del said...

ohhhh...I'm so excited...and trying really hard not to phone you. I hear it's really annoying to get 100 "have-you-had-the-baby-yet" phone calls.
praying for an "easy" delivery!