
Eeeek! I was outside, watering my compost (like a good little compost geek) when I felt something scurry by my feet. Thinking Fergus had escaped, I looked down. To my chagrin, there was a little brown mouse running under my compost. Eeeek! In a moment of panic, I watered him with my hose.
I feel betrayed. I love my compost. I am close to ridiculous about it. I have followed all the rules about what foods to include and what foods not to include. My compost eats a lot of kitchen scraps, baby weeds, grass clippings and other good things approved of my handy-dandy compost book.
I looked up "trouble-shooting" in my little book. The only way that my compost should be attracting vermin is if I put inappropriate foods in it. Foods like meat or dairy products. Blech! I have not done that.
My brother-in-law had a good idea. He thinks I should release Fergus. Fergus is very adept at killing his toy mouse. That thing has died a million deaths already. I'm just not ready to let my little cat outside yet. I'm afraid he'd run away and become one of the strays the Humane Society picks up.
I think I'll look for those mouse traps we got as a wedding present. We giggled nervously then and commented on the oddness of the gift; but, here I am, one year later, "eeeeking" over a mouse.
Fortunately, this thing is in my yard and not my house.

No comments:
Post a Comment