Voting

Wednesday, March 28, 2007

The wisdom of our Elders

Every Tuesday, an older Ojibway woman visits our school. She is an Elder and she feels it is her calling to come and visit with our students. Every day she enters the school, she prays and then she tries to connect with kids as much as possible.
Yesterday, I invited her into my Drama 9 class. She didn't really have any specific place to be. She entered my Auditorium and sat with an angry young man who was refusing to participate. She shook his hand and talked with him for a bit. Her actions diffused the fury he was experiencing. She was amazing.
After class, I had the privilege of sitting and talking with her. She told me stories of growing up on the reserve. She told me about her worries for the youth today. She told me of her desire to pour herself into today's generation. I could have sat all afternoon with her and soaked up her wisdom.

Last night, in our Small Group, we studied about leaving a legacy. We talked about how every moment we live helps shape the way we will be remembered. I think about this joy filled, peaceful woman and the legacy she is shaping and the impact our short conversation had on my life. Then, I try to think about the legacy I am leaving behind. Somedays, it is so easy for me to fall into the sins of complacency, negativity and complaint. I'm reminded that I am blessed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey -- Check this out. I saw it on Oprah yesterday about a church that started a Complaint Free World campaign that wants to bring out the positive things in the world. They have some neat ideas to use the bracelet as well, once you complain and catch yourself hopefully, to switch hands that the bracelet is on.

http://acomplaintfreeworld.org/

I enjoy reading your blog.