Voting

Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Maclean's article

According to the Jan. 8th edition of Maclean's magazine, I work in the worst neighbourhood in Canada. I cried last night when I read the article. I'm sad. According to this article, my students, per capita, live in a community that is similar to a 3rd world country.
Some of the things I see in thier lives are shocking. I hear about violence, drugs, gangs, pregnancy and poverty all the time. I teach so many teen moms. I'm sure that some of my students have come to my class high (really, I'm not the best judge).
However, I also see some real lights. I've seen students fight hard to get to school. Some of them walk over an hour just to get to class. Right now, in Drama 10, I am watching beautiful mime. Their story lines are rich, humourous and my students have such talent.
I hope that this article might finally get my school some extra funding. Maybe we'll finally have access to text books, equiptment, extra teachers and EAs (as of right now, there is no teacher-assistant at this school) like other schools.
I want so very badly for these kids to thrive and grow and learn.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey jill,

you're right. maybe something good will come of the article, even if it just wakes people up to the reality of what we have in the middle of our city. also, i read an article in the LP where people like Pat Fiacco thought the author of the article unfairly ignored all the progress being made in north central; for as bad as it is, it used to be worse and it getting better every year.

Andrea

Jen said...

I read that article too. So sad and shocking!

Anonymous said...

Hey Jill

Some of my best teaching experiences were in Regina! At the time it was hard but today it has made me a better teacher. Inspire those kids! I know you do:)