"My housekeeping tasks fall on the same day for every job I take: on Monday, I oil up the furniture. Tuesday, I wash and iron the sheets... Wednesday is for scrubbing the bathtub real good even though I wipe it down really good every morning. Thursday is for polishing floors and sucking rugs.... Friday is heavy cooking for the weekend and what-have-you. And every day is mopping, washing clothes and ironing shirts... and generally keeping things clean. Silver and windows, they're as needed." (p. 47 The Help by Kathryn Stockett)
I read those lines last night and I wiped my brow because I was tuckered out just thinking of all that housework. Yeesh - I'm happy if I get the floors cleaned twice a week, the bathroom cleaned once a week and the laundry done every 3 days. Of course, we do a general tidy every night but, that's just so we can walk through our house without kid debris.
Today, I finally washed the windows (inside). Trevor's going to do the outside sometime this weekend. Those maids of the 60s would be so ashamed of me...
(PS - Just started The Help and it's as fabulous as everyone says. I may even watch the movie if the reviews are good.)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
I just started reading it last night too LOL :)
I unfortunately have already seen the movie (mommies night out) - I usually like to read the book first. the movie was really good :)
I didn't notice the quotation marks when I first started reading and thought it was YOU talking about all that cleaning...I was like," WOW, that is impressive!" Ha ha...until I got to the part about "sucking rugs" and realized something was a little off :)
Mom Braun kindly left "The Help" here for me when she came to visit... I am eagerly awaiting some free time to dive into it :)
Ha! I started reading it and said "What, you iron your sheets? WOW!"
I know how you feel... the dust piles up way too quickly!
I didn't realize it was a quote either and thought "Man, Jill is amazing". I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who doesn't do a solid cleaning every day, even though I'm sure my house could use it with 2 little ones making a mess!
Post a Comment