Voting

Saturday, October 22, 2011

My Austrian Connection


I went to Bible School in Austria when I was 19 and when I was 23. I was young, naive and in love with adventuring. My first time there was for Fall School... a semester of Bible teaching during the fall semester. I learned what love isn't (I had a disastrous long-distance relationship with... eek... a wrestler and I had a crush on the tall Albertan boy that sat next to me in the Lecture Hall), I redefined what my home and Canada meant to me, I deepened my relationship with Christ, I drank alcohol for the first time and my world opened up to new ideas, people and possibilities. Every fall, I think back to that time of blissful innocence when the I was standing on the cusp of adulthood.

I went back later, with Tim, for the Summer adventure program and I hiked my heart out. Once again, I learned what love is not (the cute Southerner on my team), how to rely on Christ in the midst of chaos and that I could really push myself above and beyond my what I thought. It was a perfect place to prepare me for my first year of teaching.

Every year, I order myself a pair of Austrian slippers, or "cottage shoes". Yesterday, I got them in the mail and slipped them on my feet. I remembered my adventures, the Alps and the friends I made and I smiled. (My feet also sighed with pleasure - Austrian slippers are AMAZING!)

(I bought Simon a pair when I was pregnant with him - because of his casts and then his feet, he never could wear them. Claire, however, wears them well. The above picture is of my ratty last year's slippers and her adorable baby ones.)

(If you ever want to wear the most amazing slippers ever, check out the Austrian Online Shop. Order me a Milka too!)

No comments: