Voting

Wednesday, May 05, 2010

Making Me Work for It


We found out about Schmoo 2.0's arrival at the end of March. We were absolutely thrilled!
However, it did throw a wrench into my work plans. I had applied (and received) a personal leave to end off the school year. I had also asked for (and received) permission to reduce my teaching contract to just 60%. All of a sudden, this didn't add up to the 600 hours I need for a second mat. leave.
I spent a few days SCRAMBLING! (I felt a little sheepish changing all my plans.)
Fortunately, I have a fabulous school board and HR Consultant. We worked it out that, instead of coming back to work full time this spring, I would only have to come back full-time in the fall. In order to make up for the hours I was short, I agreed to sub for 17 days.
Today was my 6th day subbing. (It was grand... I need to blog about subbing someday because it's a pretty wild and wacky world!)

Schmoo 2.0 is also a demanding little beast. With Simon, I was uber tired my first trimester but, never sick. With this kidlet, I'm a nauseous and tired mess. I don't throw up so, there's no real relief there... just this unending sense that my stomach hates me.
I crave bizarre, unhealthy, greasy food. I've been to MacDonald's twice in one weekend. (The last time I was at MacDonald's was in Europe... so I could have the McBeer and that was 10 years ago.)
I'm hoping that now I'm in my 2nd trimester, things should ease up a bit. It's yet to have happened.

(The picture of Simon is a little random but, pretty darned cute if you ask me.)

3 comments:

Tanya said...

First of all, congrats! Two are fun. Also, I found that the incessant nauseousness was helped by either chewing gum or sucking on hard candies. also, I found I had to wait until closer to 20 weeks for it to subside.

matt&ruth said...

So glad that all the work hours sorted themselves out!

That sucks about nausea - definitely not fun. And funny about the fast food - when I was prego with Caleb, I found myself craving hotdogs (gross!) all the time. Unfortunately, that never left after he was born - I am still drawn to a nice flame-broiled hotdog, even two years later :) Oh well, what can you do?

Janelle said...

I found that ginger candies worked for me, and surprisingly enough, salt & vinegar goldfish crackers. Hormones are weird things! I had to wait until about 18 weeks, and then mine did get better. Really. Hope you start to get some relief soon :)