Voting

Thursday, March 20, 2008

Open Letter to My Favorite TV Shows

To: My Favorite TV Shows,

Remember when you'd come into my living room every week and tell me tales that kept me entertained and amused. Remember when I based some evenings entirely around you. Thursday night was especially enjoyable. I loved the drama and the comedy you brought into my home.

Last fall, you went away. Something about your creators not getting paid well. Fair enough. People have a right to strike. However, I was left with a void. For a few weeks, I found myself lost. I wondered what in the world I could watch while correcting papers. Reality TV tried to fill the void but, I found it was a little too melodramatic. I tried watching re-runs of you, my favorite shows but I found myself getting bored. You left a gap.

Gradually, I moved on. I spent more time on the phone. I paid better attention to my marking and worked much quicker. I spent quality time with my husband. Fergus got extra play time. I discovered LOL cats on the internet. Trevor and I started watching all 5 seasons of The Wire (our guilty pleasure). You were no longer a part of my life and I was okay with that!

Now, you are appearing in commercials while I'm watching the news. You're trying to return and draw me in to your completely superfluous plot lines. I'm not sure what to do. Should I welcome you back with open arms or cautiously check you out, one at a time. It just depends...

3 comments:

Jen said...

I know! some of our shows returned to t.v. this past week. it kind of felt like an awkward visit with a friend you haven't seen in years. ;)

wandi said...

Hey Jill. I miss them too. Soon they will return. Have patience my dear. In the mean time enjoy marking papers, snuggling hubby, reading a good book and what ever else you choose to spend your time doing.

Amanda Franks said...

This one made me laugh. I can't give up my ER! I've been waiting for it's return!