Last night, Trevor and I were out a function and I ran into an old acquaintance. As we shook hands, his greeting of choice was "Busy?" to which I responded, "Busy, busy!". "Good!" He said.
Really? Is busy good?
I thought about that driving home from work today. All day, I talked with colleagues who compared levels of busy-ness with each other. Oh, we don't do it directly but, we still do it. It sounds like this:
"How's it goin'?"
"Busy, I got those papers to correct."
"Really, I've got a lot going on too with the play and all."
"Yeah, the play. Almost as busy as I was with basketball..."
Why do we think that the busier we are, the better we are? Is it the association of busy-ness with importance?
Why can't we just all slow it down and enjoy?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
I know what you mean, it is like it is almost a competition of who is busier. The pastor at my church has actually been encouraging the congregation to stop using our busy lifestyles as an excuse for not seeing people, not doing something, not doing your devotions etc. He would like us to evaluate our "busy" lifestyle and see if God fits in with all aspects. That is a challenge and a half which will keep me busy! hee hee
I agree! We are all far too busy.
I went through a phase of wondering the same thing earlier in the year. For me I came to conclusion that busier is better. I work harder when I have deadlines and projects, I get more done in a day when they are go, go, go. But at the same time I also have to make sure I don't get too busy. Balance is a challenge!
I loved this post. I find that everyone always feels like they have to be busy, and when we arn't, we just don't know what to do with ourselves.
Post a Comment