Voting

Thursday, March 25, 2010


As an educator, I've always valued students who have come from well-disciplined homes. When you tell these students what the expectations are, they meet them. When you set boundaries, they obey them. In contrast, I've also taught quite a few young men and women who have never been told "no". Their parents seem to give in to their every whim and demand. As a teacher, this has always made setting boundaries and giving expectations a challenge.
Now, I am a parent. I have to say the word "no" to my little man. We've begun the discipline process and it's been an interesting start.
Simon throws food off the side of his high chair. At first, I was just annoyed. I hate picking off orange slices, toast bits and anything else he doesn't fancy off the floor 3 TIMES A DAY! I decided that it was time to say "no". Whenever he throws food or makes the motion to throw food, I take his little hand and say "no". Actually, I don't even need to take his little hand anymore, I just give him a look and say "no". He totally knows that he's done something wrong. He purses his little lips, turns red, pouts and lets out a sad little cry. It's crazy to think that I have the power to devastate him with one little word.
It takes all my acting powers not to bust a gut and laugh hysterically at his little outbursts. He knows he's in trouble.
Now, when he starts to throw, he'll catch himself, look at me and give me the food piece. This doesn't always happen but, it's a good start.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Yes, Jill. I am so glad you are going to set boundaries for the little guy. I see so many children who haven't any and they are little terrors. Not thier faults though, just poor parenting.Simon will thank you when he is older.