Voting

Monday, March 08, 2010

Wormy


Dear Simon,
I have to explain something to you little buddy; your parents are book worms. If fact, your Momma was probably the wormiest of all book worms when she was younger. It's more fashionable for an adult to read but, when I was kid, carrying around Dickens and Hugo weren't the epitome of cool. (I don't think your father was much better... I live with his book collection; he had to start young to have that many books.) The reason I am confessing this to you is to help you understand why we go to the library so much. It's because I'm a book worm and... it's free!
Don't underestimate the power of FREE, little man. That will get me places any time. We can peruse all the soft cover, hard cover and board books that we want. I can even read to you for 20 minutes and I don't have to buy a thing. Someday, when you're older, we'll take out DVDs and maybe even some CDs. Also, there are some cool programs there that we can participate in.
Right now, you are in the Mother Goose Story Time. It's fun. We sing songs like "A Mare Named Dapple Grey", "The Grand Old Duke of York", etc. We also get to listen to a story, play with a puppy puppet and dance with shakers. FOR FREE!!! I love it! It's also nice to have someone else read the story for a change.
Thanks for putting up with all the trips to the library. I hope that you enjoy them. I also hope that the book worm genes have been passed on. It's an amazing thing to slip into a book on a yucky day and get caught up in another world.

P.S. - Thanks also for the amazing sleeps you've been having these past few nights. I feel like a whole new woman! Keep it up... please.

4 comments:

Jen said...

We are at the library atleast once a week too. Josie is in Toddler Time. We go and leave with a bag bursting with books, cds, DVDs, audio books. And yes, FREE! I can never justify buying books with such a great free resource just a few blocks away.

Unknown said...

I'm glad others are making use of our library as well. Who says print is dead?! I can't imagine reading a book on a computer screen.

Tanya said...

I used to love the library, then we moved to Alberta, where it is NOT free!!!!!!!! and so I have to pay money to take out books from a libary with the worst selection ever. It makes me sad and I miss the Saskatoon and Regina libraries that I have been spoiled with

Amanda Brown said...

Yay for libraries! Our kids love it there and while Karenna is a bit of a menace (running around the aisles, tearing DVDs off the shelves) the librarians are so friendly and gracious and know our kids by name. I love it!