Voting

Thursday, June 26, 2008

Con"grad"ulations

Last night I dressed up and went to the 2008 grad. I watched ~150 young people walk across a stage and receive their passport to their future.
Grad is a beautiful thing... full of hopes and dreams and the idealism of youth. Nobody walks across the stage thinking, "Gee, I can't wait to get my welfare check" or "Yeehaw, now I can get a dead-end job". Instead, it's all about being as successful as possible. It really is an uplifting event.
Strangely, I sat alone in a crowd. Trevor's been to enough grads for kids I teach, I let him off the hook this year. I walked in and I could not find one single teacher I knew. I sat with some kid's family. I cheered loudly for the 20 kids I taught this year and I went home. As lonesome as it was, I don't think I'd want to miss it. Grad is the icing on the cake for a high school teacher.
Tomorrow is my last day of school for the year. Just 4 more sleeps until our big trip...

2 comments:

Jen said...

What a nice supportive teacher you are. :)

I think I missed something ... what's this "big trip"?

Del said...

"Are you lonesome tonight..."

Congrats on being done today. Hopefully Reid (and his mom and dad) can see you before you take off.

We're going to Swift Sat. and Sun.

Take care!