Voting

Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Can I Do This For Homework?

When I left my small town teaching post to pursue a city teaching job, I really thought it would be the same. Instead, I ended up in school that was located in a very poor area of the city. My priorities fast shifted from academics to how to give my students skills to survive in the world. I got used to late students and missed assignments. If you'd heard some of the things that were going on in those kids' lives, you'd understand why I was just proud of them for showing up and trying. I learned to be a little more flexible.
Now, I'm thrown back into the academic whirlwind. All my students are seated and ready to go by the time the class bell rings. All of my students have handed in all their assignments. I haven't worried about the health and social welfare of any of my students to date. I had to pick my jaw up off the floor today when one young man asked me, "can I do this for homework"?

Tim and Karri's wedding is coming up in a week and a half. Trevor and I are in the wedding party and we're in the middle of preparing the powerpoint. Things are getting a little busy around our house. Poor Fergus doesn't get the play time and the cuddles he was used too. I'm looking forward to the wedding and I'm really looking forward to all these preparations being done. I'm tired of my homework!

1 comment:

Amanda Franks said...

It really is amazing how much of an impact a teacher has on areas of students lives with nothing to do with homework. It may look different in suburbia but I'm sure you affect their lives just as much as in the inner city. Good luck with the powerpoint, always so fun at the wedding but such a headache before with all the editing and stuff. I'm sure you guys are going to make an awesome show.