At the end of every teaching year, I try to look back and reflect on what I've been up to with students, with lessons and with my own growth as a professional. Strangely, during those reflection periods, I usually get stumped when I try to remember what I did in September.
Now, I remember why. September is a nutty month. My classes are new and are keeping me swamped.
I'm proud to say that my students have successfully completed 4 cooking labs. We haven't burnt a thing and all the the food has been tasty. It's also really fun. I like the hands-on learning aspect.
I'm also really excited that I am no longer intimidated by fractions, long division, decimals or exponents. By teaching these concepts to kids who are really struggling, I've been able to figure out a lot myself. I also can empathize with them when they think math sucks.
I'll be subbing (with a temp. contract) at this job until Oct. 23. Then, I'll try my hand at subbing... unless anything else comes up.
On a whole other note, Fergus is growing fast. Our vet thinks he'll be a big cat... Garfield here we come. Trevor and I spend a lot of time being stalked, pounced upon and cuddling. He's a pretty social kitten. He's been a good addition to our little family.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
It would seem I married into a friend circle of teachers and I am definitely gaining a whole new respsect for September. When my kids start school I might have to send a gift at the end of September just to say 'thanks for sticking through it!'. Glad to hear home ec is going so well.
I am excited you are now enjoying your temp job. I will pray a more permanent position opens up (ie. mat. leave)
By the way, we totally have a garfield cat; except it's a girl. Where there is food, she is sure to be near. Although, I have never seen her eat lasagna, I'm sure she would if we let her!
Have a great week end!
Post a Comment