Voting

Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Open Letter to Those Who Rely on Cuss Words

Dear Chronic Cuss-Word Users,
I appreciate that you need to express yourself. I think it is "neat" that you feel comfortable to do so in front of me. Every now and then, you may hear a 4-letter word escape from my lips as well but, you probably won't. You see, I try very hard to take some thought in what comes out of my mouth. I actually have the brain power to edit my speech. Yes, I know that I still say some really stupid things. Yes, I also know that sometimes, when I'm nervous, my words get mixed up. However, I still have the self-control to filter my language use. If I'm using a 4-letter word, it's because I've chosen to. You too have the power of choice.
To my students who sometimes cuss, I don't bat an eye at it. Sometimes, you are angry and it slips out. You look at me and apologize. I can handle that. You are in the self-edit process. What I don't like is when I have told you six or seven times already to refrain from your use of the f-word and you continue. I believe you are intelligent. I wish you would realize how un-intelligent you sound when you keep saying the same word over and over. It loses the effect you desire.
To adults who swear around students and children, you need to realize that you are a role model. You don't impress me with how "real" and "tough" you are. You disappoint me with your lack of professionalism as well as your lack of respect for other people's kids.
Today, I am annoyed, peeved, ticked off, rankled, disgusted and unimpressed. There are swear words to describe what I'm feeling but, the English language has given us other options too.
Therefore, in today's world, know that I do not feel comfortable when you swear. I can tolerate it, to some degree but really, do I have to?

No comments: