On Tuesday night, my senior Drama students presented their collective KARMA: what goes around, comes around. We had a teeny tiny audience but, it was amazing.
It's always one of my favorite things to stand on a stage just before the kids go on. I can hear them backstage behind me. I can hear their nervous voices and I can almost feel the tension that surrounds them. I get to go up on stage and introduce them. Then, I get to sit in the front row, on pins and needles for them, and watch them shine. At the end of the show, I get to go back onstage and listen to them as they run around with their first actors' high. They are full of pride and relief. It's a celebration! They are amazing and they know it!
I love my job. It's not a guaranteed thing next year. I might be back to slogging substitute business cards and walking into random classes hoping kids tell me their real names and don't play "sink the sub" games. (After my grade 8 year, I'm sure that would definately be Karma.) I might be ramdomly given a contract somewhere new with new subjects, new extra curr and a new culture of kids and staff to figure out. I do believe that there is a time for everything. This summer, it will be a time of waiting for me. I'm working to accept that. It's hard. My pride hurts. I'm used to getting what I want right off the bat. I have a week and a half to continue loving the kids I have. I think we'll continue their celebration and enjoy playing in Drama for the next few days.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I hope you get something Jill! You seem like such a talented teacher.
Miss I.
You are a stellar teacher, and it is too bad that you might not get a full-time position. Your speech tonight at grad was good and well prepared. Too bad we couldn't talk longer, but I had to go and you had so many people to talk to. Oh well, I suppose I will see you some other time maybe.
Your Pie Friend,
Edward
Post a Comment