Voting

Monday, May 14, 2007

Most of my adult life...

Today is the 10th anniversary of Hotmail.
I think I have had an account for like 9 years... the same address and everything.
Crazy how dependant I have become on keeping track of people by simply typing and sending.
I remember in grade 10, when our computer teacher first introduced us to the concept of email. He told us that computers could "talk" to each other and send each other messages. My whole class thought he was trying to pull some elaborate prank. We totally didn't believe him. Then, we were so amazed when one computer in the lab sent a message to another computer in the lab. Who would have thought that emails could go global. This was around the same time that we had to sign out 1/2 hour blocks at the only computer in our library that had internet access. It was this amazing research tool but, it was so confusing.
I must be getting old. My students can't even imagine a world of not carrying a cellphone, not having a High-5, Facebook or Myspace account and not doing research on the world wide web.
Happy Birthday Hotmail.

No comments: