I felt excitement radiating from my children. Their eyes reflected the beam of the flashlight as we stood in Simon's closet, which he was referring to as Toronto. As we searched for "peeky eyes" in Toronto (the closet), I realized we were entering the wonderful world of imaginative play.
Simon spent most of the evening "flying" to Toronto (where the Rider game was). He asked me to come along and then pulled me into his closet. He was kept babbling about "peeky eyes"in Toronto and needing a flashlight to see them. We laughed so hard together that my sides hurt. Claire was thrilled (because she was included).
Finally, we're starting to leave behind the world of chewing, and emptying containers and getting to the good stuff: the world of imagination. As a drama teacher, a former improv participant and avid daydreamer, I have been longing for this since Simon was in utero. Bring on the search for peeky eyes, the random trips to other places, make-believe and anything else Simon (and eventually Claire) can imagine. I am pumped for this kind of play.
I remembered my improv rules and, rather then say no to or re-direct Simon's ideas, I prompted him to build and explore. This led to even sillier ideas and even more laughter.
Who knows where we'll go tomorrow...
(By the way, the Toronto idea was inspired by the Rider game. I'm sure that Simon, Claire and I were the only happy prairie people talking about Toronto tonight.)

1 comment:
I love it! I am looking forward to seeing Eva go through those stages too... I think about Simon and his peeky eyes almost every day (Eva likes to talk about eyes too).
Post a Comment