Voting

Monday, August 29, 2011

City Parks Review - 2011



One of the best parts about teaching is that I will always have my summers. One of the best things my kids and I have found to do in the summer is to hit up parks. Here's my review of our more frequented (or less frequented due to a poor review).
Candy Cane Park
A lot has changed here since I was a kid. Gone is the grungy wading pool and unsafe candy canes to climb (who's idea was that?). There is a snazzy new goose but, the slides are a little too steep for my kiddos. Simon LOVES the bus and the slide area. Claire LOVES the baby swings. Both kids can be highly entertained for hours here. This park often requires the use of Claire's Bjorn so that I can chase after Simon. This is by far one of our most favorite park. We're giving it 5 out of 5 stars.

Kinsmen Park
We spend a lot of time at this park because it's a good walk. We also get to go by Auntie Andrea's and visit with her if possible. Simon LOVES the spray pad. We wish it had softer turf (like Rick Hanson) because the asphalt hurts when you fall. Claire likes it when we let her meander through the puddles but, she's not a big fan of the actual splashes. The equipment is great. Both kids have things to do. Simon loves crawling up and sliding. He's also a big fan of the little house and teeter-totter. Claire is our little swinger and she also feels pretty important when we let her stand in the little house. It'll be interesting to see how often we get to this park once we move. It's a definite 5 out of 5 stars.

Kiwanis Park
We went here once to check it out. The equipment was much to challenging for my toddler and I was nervous carrying Claire up the play structure. The slide was too steep so, we didn't stay for long. We did, however, enjoy the Mac's across the street and the waterfall nearby. Right now, it's a 2 out of 5 but, it has potential for when my kids are older.

School Parks
Since kids have been out of school, most school parks are pretty empty. We've taken advantage of their slides. Most school parks we've been to are pretty good but, they lack baby swings. They are a good option when we need a change. Most school parks rate a 3 out of 5 for us.

Rick Hanson Park
We did venture north this summer and we checked out the RH Splash Park. Simon really like holding on to the hose but, he was frequently pushed out of the way by bigger kids. It was really busy and, the play structure was fun to climb up but, Simon didn't LOVE it. It was such a large play structure that I had a hard time keeping track of where Simon was while carrying/entertaining Claire. Once again, I think this is a great park but, I don't think I'd like to go back until the kids are older. It's a 4 out of 5.

Marina Park

The park at the Marian has a super location. The kids both loved hanging out by the fence and watching the geese. The play structure was pretty good and I really liked the rock formations. We'll probably go back as the kids get older. I'll give this a 3 out of 5.

We've been to other parks but, these are the ones that really stand out to us. I'm sure things will change up a lot by next year when I have 2 adventurous movers.
What's your favorite park and why?

1 comment:

Andrea said...

Great idea for a post. And, of course, any park near Auntie Andrea's deserves 5 stars! Now you might just want to look at that title once more...