Voting

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Vanity

A good friend of mine is in the midst of chemo. She cut her hair short to prepare her kiddos for the potential hair loss that comes with chemo. A group of us girls decided to chop our hair short to support her.
This week I learned that I am terribly vain about my hair.
I love having long hair. I love the feel of it swishing from side to side in a ponytail, I love how Simon snuggles into it and how Claire wraps her chubby baby fingers around it while nursing. The last time I had short hair (the shortest it's ever been is just above shoulder length) was when I was 15.
I have basically had the same hair cut for 17 years. My hair style had grown into an eleventh grader. Yeesh. My biggest style changes were growing out bangs and long layers.
Last night, Lindsey P. from Sheers (awesome hairdresser if you're looking - there's my plug) chopped off my locks.
I still don't recognize myself in the mirror. My head feels light. Washing and brushing my hair feels ridiculous and my neck gets chilly. I've also realized that I have really wavy hair.
It'll grow back. Until it does, I'm going to embrace this changed look.
I know that we made my friend smile and that was the point.
(I'll post pictures when my kids are in bed - neither want to sleep this afternoon... sigh - too much of a shock for them, I guess!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow! what a shocker for everyone! i'm sure this new 'do (on all of her friends) will have your friend smiling. what a great sign of your support! and i can't wait to see pics, cuz i really can't remember you ever cutting your hair short...think of the money you'll save in shampoo!! ;)

love,marla