
I'm totally bummed to announce that I received a job transfer this week. Being on maternity leave made me vulnerable. My employer has to give me a comparable full-time position but, not necessarily at my original school. Sigh...
This will be my 4th school.
The only place I ever really "warmed up" was in Lanigan. At my inner-city school, I only had 1 year to get to know people and, as much as I tried, I knew those relationships would be fleeting. Now, just as I am starting to feel safe, to feel confident and comfortable on staff, I have to go and start over. (As friendly as I am, I'm as slow to warm as Simon about new places and people.)
The other sucky part is that it's an elementary school. No offense to elementary school teachers but, your job scares me. All day with the same kids. All year with the same kids. Blech.
I am also only going back part-time (mornings). Maybe elementary school will be more compatible for that. There's probably less extra-curr. Recess is kind of like a coffee break (more then the 5 minutes between classes that I use to photocopy, discipline after class, file discipline reports, go potty, get coffee/snacks and prep for my next class), right?
Of course, I don't go back until just before Claire's November B-day but still, there's a lot for me to figure out before then.

2 comments:
Sorry to hear about your transfer. I think that would be a difficult part of being a teacher. What elementary school will you be teaching at? Is it close to your new home at all?
Oh Jill, that stinks :( I am sure that you will make it work, and that it will be ok, but I know how hard it is to have a new assignment. I have also lost my lovely position now being back from mat leave and am unsure where I will be next year. Sigh. I hope that your new staff is lovely and welcomes you completely. What grade/s will you be teaching?
Post a Comment