
I'm not technically in the classroom right now but, I still have the rapt attention of two little students. Yesterday and today, Simon learned to say "democracy" and that democracy means "everybody votes". Today, he followed me as I marked my ballot and helped me put in the box.
As a teacher, I believe in modelling. This has led to some silly situations for me (being the only one over 18 not wearing my shoes to the shoeless assembly, weeks carting around my own baby egg, etc.) however, I believe that if I show kids that I buy into whatever it is I'm teaching, it's easier to sell them on it too.
I hope this will work as a parent too. I hope that Simon (and Claire) will take democracy seriously and will vote because their Momma and Daddy have told them about it, showed them how.
Besides... "field trips" are fun!

1 comment:
Good job mamma. We did the same thing. When we came home from the polls with both kids, Matthew carried around a piece of paper that was his "vote."
Post a Comment