Voting

Thursday, April 07, 2011

Vitamin D


For the past 5 days Simon, Claire and I have been little power walkers/riders. We've had 5 glorious walks with our buddy Bob and we've soaked in the sunshine. Simon's developed a new love of puddles (and mud) and both kids have started singing (together?) in the stroller.
It's amazing what a little vitamin D can do for my soul. No longer am I scrambling to find play dates to keep me sane and my kids entertained. Instead, our schedule's slowing down a little and we've been enjoying at home days. I love at home days when we can go outside. I dread them when we're stuck in the house all day. It's freeing to have a walker on my hands. I can put Simon down and he just goes on his own. Trevor and I were marveling about how different this spring with Simon is from last spring when all he wanted to do was walk but couldn't without us.
Claire's started solids. She eats banana, grape and yam with gusto. I'm not too shocked. She's not a happy nurser and likes being part of the mealtime action. Sometimes I feel like I'm breaking "rules" by not feeding her rice cereal to start or feeding her too early. However, I'm going by instinct with this little miss and not books and we've been doing pretty good. She was sooooo interested in food (and still is). She practically grabs my fork out of my hand is constantly knocking my glass. I couldn't say no to that.
In other news, I'm doing a little research into the proposed teacher contract up for negotiations. I'm not too pleased. The proposed contract leaves us with and increase of pay that doesn't even come close to the projected increase in cost of living. I knew I'd never be rich when I decided to be a teacher but... However, teachers are voting on whether we should strike or not. This leaves me worried as well. Striking jeopardizes the graduation of students that I love and want to see graduate. I have no idea how this will play out. Currently, I'm thankful that I'm on mat. leave and that my kids aren't in school... selfish, I know.

No comments: