Voting

Thursday, January 20, 2011

27



It dawned on me that Shiya's been my bestest bestie for the past 27 years. Okay, maybe not Kindergarten or grade 1 but, when we realized that we both loved to do the same things at recess in grade 2, we've been inseparable.
We've survived my weird pre-20 something dating life, our own quirks, French immersion, high school, Basic Training (definitely her - I'd cry too much), a variety of post-secondary schooling, moving all over Canada (once again her - I'd cry too much), the Navy, 3 high schools for me, a wonderful Mexican holiday, 2 marriages, my two kiddos and too much geography between us. Still, whenever I pick up the phone to talk to her, she's the same person that spent all of grade 6 pouting with me by the ball diamonds. We've grown up, have gone through so many different and life-changing experiences and still, she's my best friend.
We try to see each other as much as our finances will allow. Fortunately, for me, her hubby has family here so, they both want to come back regularly. I wish it could be more. Simon knows who his "Auntie" Shiya and "Uncle" Marshall are and identifies them in pictures. I wish he could grow up knowing them better.
I miss her lots today. It's her B-day and she's 32. I wish I could turn back time and buy slushies and decapitate gummy bears with her all afternoon. Instead, I'll make a long distance call and long for a hug.

Happy B-day, beautiful! I love you!

No comments: