Voting

Friday, August 07, 2009

Sleepless in Simonville...

Simon's not the a great sleeper on his best days. We had a nice little routine where he would get up every 3-6 hours at night and have one long AM nap, two shorter PM naps and a short evening nap. Then, we had surgery. Nights have taken on a nightmarish quality with the of sound of wailing from an inconsolable baby. When we're lucky, we can get him to relax and drop back to a deeper sleep with lullabyes, shushing, nursing, lots of rocking and bouncing and the sound of the shower (yes... it's weird but, it works). Simon refuses to sleep in his crib. He's spending his nights in his swing.
Days are now a constant fight to get my little one to have good, deep naps. Today, he was the king of the cat nap with no real deep, healing rest.
Was it the morphine? Is it the casts? Is he such a touchy guy that the change of routine threw him for that much of a loop? Is he in pain? Does the Baby Tylenol bother him? Will he be like this again when he has his hand surgery? Will I ever have a normal sleep ever again?
I've read a lot about baby sleep. I have yet to come across helpful information for a baby who has just had surgery. I have yet to find success with the "put him in the crib and pat him to sleep" method. I refuse to let him cry it out. He just gets hysterical. I'm getting to be at my wit's end.
He's scary. I feel terrible for him. In the dead of night, I feel like I've failed him because I can't get him to sleep peacefully. Isn't that my job? If I can't get my baby to go to sleep, what's going to happen with bigger, more important things?
It's almost 9 pm. Trevor lulled the little man to sleep in his arms while watching the Riders play. How long will this last? When will this scary stage be a distant memory?

Wishing you all a good night and hoping one for myself.

5 comments:

Jen said...

Aw. That's sooo hard when no one is getting a good night's rest. My favorite sleep book has always been Good Night Sleep Tight but I have no idea if there's anything about post-surgery sleep problems in there. I hope you get some sleep soon and that little Simon can get a nice peaceful rest in too!

matt&ruth said...

Yes, you WILL have a normal sleep again. No, you have NOT failed Simon in any way. You are a great mother who loves and cares so much for her son. You are trying everything you can think of, and that is all you can do. I definitely remember many times where I felt like you are feeling - where I would have given anything to just know what was wrong or what would work! The only advice I can give you is to say that you and Simon sound completely NORMAL. And you WILL figure this out - just keep doing what you are doing and try not to get too overwhelmed by it (yes, I know much easier said than done). Praying for you.

rhoda said...

i'm so sorry things are rough right now! my mom always tells me that in the rough times, i should repeat to myself, "this too shall pass"...sometimes it helps, sometimes it doesn't.

when you mentioned that simon is comforted by shower noise, it triggered a thought. shower noise is basically white noise. a few years ago i bought a "marpac sleep mate" white noise machine and it's done wonders for my sleep (like, i would name it among the top 5 purchases i've made in my adult life)....now, of course, i'm an adult, and i'm not post-surgery, and i don't have any children, so i don't actually know if it would help at all, but the thought came to mind, so i thought i'd share just in case it did.

wishing you peace and rest!

Tanya said...

Hey. That sucks when they don't sleep well. I remember Chloe did the cat nap thing for a while too. It was frustrating, but she grew out of it on her own after a few months (although she wasn't post surgery). Also instead of patting her in the crib, I would hold her soother in with my thumb and stroke the side of her face. It sometimes took half an hour, but it worked well. Good luck, and hopefully this passes soon and you guys can all get back to sleeping.
Also, glad the surgery went well and there were no complications.

Del said...

I'm sorry you have to go through this! You deserve this pity party!

I have no advice on sleeping. All I know is that these "phases" do pass. I just pray it happens soon!

I'm available if you need help (or the baby swap option is still out there...just know that Reid has two speeds: running and sleeping).

Let's get together this week!