For those of you who remember my Feb/o7 field trip from Hades, today made up for it.
Today, I took 14 lovely Senior students to see Midsummer Night's Dream. My students were fabulous. We discussed the characters during intermission and I watched them take in a new experience. There were no fires lit, no change thrown at other audience members and, we didn't have to haul the kids back to school during the second act.
Unfortunately, there were about 13 other classes from my school with us. I ended up having to sit by a little yahoo who couldn't figure out why his loud whispering was being heard 10 rows down. We had to relocate a few individuals and one of my colleagues had the pleasure of taking one student out for his own foyer field trip.
My question is this: WHY? Why do we as educators do this to ourselves? We get excited about introducing the students to a new experience. We discuss what a great cultural opportunity this is. We plan and invest. Then, ~18% of the students we take wreck it. Why?
I always want to err on the side of the positive and think that, even though we don't see it now, the kids will take something away from this experience. They will have grown through a cultural field trip. Today, we gave them an opportunity some of their families might never have provided. However, tonight, I have a splitting headache. I loved the theatre's rendition of this play and the acting was delightful. Why am I still so disheartened?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Cuz they're kids...
wait till baby Wiens pukes all over it's brand new outfit seconds before you're heading out the door to go to church...
we do it for the ~82% who had a great time...
chin up! Hope you're feeling well.
Post a Comment