I teach grade 9s (and 10s to 12s) and I am always struck with how important it is to "fit in". I guess I learned early that I was a little to quirky to be cool and I accepted it and moved on. By grade 10, I was a barrette wearing, overall-clad happy bookworm. I had a good group of "geeky" girlfriends and that was enough for me. Every now and then, I longed to have the confidence of some of the other kids in my class but, I realized that it wasn't happening for me.
I watch my students. There are those kids who are comfortable in their own skin who set the tone for the class. Then, there's my 40% of kids who are questioning who they are and how they need to present themselves. I wish I could make them understand that nobody is watching them as closely as they think. I wish I could transfuse self-confidence the way a nurse transfuses blood.
Instead, I teach. This week, we read an article called "Comfortable with Being Weird" and I talked about not being cool and being okay with it. Vulnerable - a little. However, after reading their journal responses, I know we're getting somewhere. Some kids are realizing that being mean to people who are different then them is mean (strange how long it takes that concept to kick in). Kids who aren't so confident are opening up a little about their search for self. Slowly, we're addressing real issues in class. This is why I love what I do.
Wish me luck as I journey through grade 9 for the 10th time. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I wish you were MY grade 9 teacher.
Post a Comment