Voting

Tuesday, November 01, 2011

My Bossy Big Sister


All this summer, my friend Laurie struggled with cancer and chemo and the effects of the chemo on her body. Last night, she went to be with the Lord.
Since I was 19, Laurie has filled the role of "bossy big sister" in my life. We took ballroom dancing lessons and "cruised Albert" as single girls. I remember soaking in my parents' pool with her before my first "date" with Trevor. I remember giggling on the phone with her shortly after her first date with her husband. We LOVED that our boys were also friends before we found them. There were lots of Kaiser nights where we stayed up far too late. Laurie and her husband helped Trevor with his engagement prep and were lurking in the parking lot to congratulate us. Both of them stood up for us at our wedding. She was the one who connected us with our first house and now, our new house is a hop skip and a jump away from her house. We'd talked of endless summers on the deck watching our kids grow up. She was one of my regular phone calls when I was lonesome on mat leave and I knew I could always walk over to her place with Simon when he was a demanding infant.
I'm going to miss my friend so, so, so much.

6 comments:

Amanda Brown said...

There are no words to convey what a loss her family and friends have suffered. She was such a light and will be deeply missed by all. This was a lovely tribute to her and your friendship, Jill.

Jen said...

I second everything Amanda said. She will be so missed by those who loved her. I'll be thinking of you too, Jill, as you grieve the loss of your friend.

Jen Wilson said...

She is going to be very, very missed. She was such a welcoming presence in my life when we first moved to Regina - she introduced us to Hillsdale, RCS, and babysat for us for the first month we worked until we found permanent care. She was an amazing example to me and I'm so sad for her family and friends that now have to live without her.

Janelle said...

I am so sorry for your loss Jill. This is an amazing way to remember a great friend. Thinking of you and also her family. *hugs*

matt&ruth said...

I am so sorry, Jill. Thinking of you today and in the days to come...

wandi said...

I'm so sad and sorry to hear about Laurie. Prayers and love for all Laurie's friends and especially Del and the kids and family!