Voting

Friday, April 04, 2008

Weakness


When some people get angry, they yell or throw things. I know cold malice where people wait years to exact revenge. I know others who have biting tongues and cutting sarcasm to express their displeasure.
Contrary to all these powerful displays of anger, I cry.
Yes, I admit it, I am somewhat of a crybaby.
It's not just in anger either. I cry when I am sad (logically). I cry when I am embarrassed, frustrated, scared, disappointed or overwhelmed. Crying usually indicates that I am uncomfortable or stressed.
I also cry when I'm happy, during worship, proud, excited or surprised. (I'm also one of those saps who cries during movies, TV shows, books and long-distance commercials).

I get really frustrated that this is how I express emotion. My embarrassment usually just leads to more tears. It's annoying.

When it comes to fight or flight, I always flee. Usually, I have to talk myself into going and having a confrontation. No matter how good the pep talk though, it tends to involve tears. This doesn't always send the right message.

Today, I was a mess. Some colleagues and I experienced a difference of conduct. I was pretty angry with them. Rather then yelling or saying nasty things, what do I do? I cry. Blech... how weak and pathetic am I? We sorted it out. Still... they were in the wrong but, I'm the one who looked foolish.

Any other cry-babies out there?

4 comments:

Jen said...

Me! It's my reaction to most emotions.

matt&ruth said...

I am a total cry baby as well - you are not alone! I can totally relate to the movie thing...dramas, romantic comedies, action, I cry through them all! (this is Ruth by the way, I thought Matt would want me to clarify that!)

Lindsay said...

I am totally with you Jill. I cry all the time. Its always my first reaction. I hate that about myself as well, but sometimes i like it, as its nice to see emotions sometimes.

Anonymous said...

Hey, I also have a hard time dealing with emotions in any other way. Particularly anger. I had a similar incident to yours the other day. I was so angry all I could do was cry.

The upside is that once you're cried out, you always feel better (at least I do).