I teach Psych 30. It's developmental psychology where we look at how a person develops psychologically from conception until death. It's a pretty neat class. We just finished up the Infancy section.
While in Lanigan, I always had my kids carry "baby eggs". I know that they aren't very realistic but, they are fragile and you do have to handle them with care. Last year, in the 'hood, I skipped the Baby Egg part because so many of my students either were parents already, pregnant or had friends with babies. The egg seemed a little strange in that setting.
This year, my new school has the RoboBaby. She's the coolest thing ever. I program her and then, for 24 hours, she cries to be held, fed, burped or changed. Her diapers and bottle have chips in them that record the student's actions. I love it... I program her and then the kids look after her.
It's awesome except... she creeps me out. Her eyes don't blink and she makes weird breathing noises. I find myself talking to her when I hold her like she was a real baby.
I still don't think either of these is realistic but, I think it gets the idea of responsibility across.
What about you? Did you have to carry an egg in high school?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
I had to carry a robo baby a couple of years back and mine was a little african american baby. I remember ha ving toleave a restaurant in the middle of a meal cuz it was sooo upset....plus since were in a small town people were staring because there were no people of colour there. I had many people thinking it was real and asking if i was from out of town.
I had to carry an egg back in grade 6. At that time, we loved it! As long as you allow your students to get the recommended 8 hours of sleep - I think you are doing a great job!
I wanted so badly to do the egg baby thing but never got assigned it. :(
I had to do the egg at one time. I always wanted the robo baby in highschool. How'd the kids do???
We had to carry a 5lb bag of flour as our baby...I guess to make it more realistic of the weight of a newborn.
Post a Comment