Our church has started Quest 2008. This is a church prepared Small Group Guide, devos and sermons that are all related to the same theme. This year's theme is: A Quest for Godliness.
I'm kind of a slacker when it comes to training for godliness. I like to take the easy route and then, I wonder why I get bored and I don't feel like I'm actually doing anything worthwhile. I'm trying to re-evaluate how best to do daily devotions. I used to be a read a chapter of the Old Testament and then a chapter of the New Testament every night kind of girl. While that was sometimes valuable, other times I skim-read just to get it done... kind of like a duty. Obviously, that wasn't very good for me.
This is my question: what do you do to connect with God on a daily basis?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
i struggle with this all the time. because as bad as it sounds, the Bible just doesn't "fill my need" or keep my attention like i need it to. i truly find God mostly through worship - when i'm singing. that's when i feel closest to God.
also, i love reading Max Lucado books. they meet me where i need to be met & fill me with the teachings that i need.
i know it's not the same as being in the word, but i feel like it's better that i'm spending time with God than not at all...
hope you can find something that works for you!
Jill, you may know that I am not a Christian anymore yet I still connect with God every day. I see him in Athena's laughter, hoar frost, bird songs, sunsets, husbands eyes. Every day I see Him, every day I am thankful.
I have an easy time connecting with God through prayer, however, my weakness is definately scripture. Some of the context in the bible is very deep and inspiring, and yet some parts can be very dry. ie family histories listing who is the father of who. I have found that following Sunday's services, I make a note to go over the verses again through out the week to make sure I completely understand the message. I have tried devotionals, however, I am movtivated for the first week, then am too distracted the next week. This is why I tend to turn to prayer for my connection with God. I do know I need to improve on reading scripture. It's baby steps I guess.
I hope this helps.
Post a Comment